Saturday, August 29, 2015

THE ROLLING STONES: REHEARSAL FOR STEEL WHEELS, 1989


The Rolling Stones were going on tour for the first time since their Tattoo You album, eight years earlier. I was working at a Long Island hotel at the time, right next to the Nassau Coliseum. There was a reservation for approximately forty people for the month of August. Rumors and whisperings started right up. The biggest being that the Rolling Stones were going to rehearse at the coliseum for a few weeks, and the crew was going to be staying with us. Turns out it was true.

I was on duty when the bus arrived with them. I wanted so very badly to go to some of these rehearsals. I was the doorman that day. I unloaded the luggage off the bus and placed it on carts for the bellman to distribute. For almost all crew arrivals, there is numbered tag on each piece of luggage. This make is really easy to sort. I noticed that on one piece of luggage a crewmember had fastened his working credentials—a laminated pass—right next to his luggage tag.

I had never seen anyone do that before. Usually those things are safeguarded. I went over to take a look, very casually. I realized what I was looking at. It was so basic, printed in black and white. I couldn’t believe it. It appeared that someone just made it up on their computer, hurriedly.

I had to move fast. I removed this pass very carefully and handed it to my bud who was working the front desk. He immediately went to the copy machine and ran off three copies. He gave it back to me, so I could quickly re-attach it, in the same manner, so the owner was none the wiser.

I got the pass back just in time for the bellman to haul the luggage away to be delivered. Next, me and front desk clerk went down to the health club. We had to bring a third person into our fold. The health club sold memberships to the general public, so anyone could use the facilities. We knew our buddy downstairs in the health club issued membership cards all day and had a laminating machine right there in his office; that was our next stop. He did his thing, and we now had three passes in our possession.

The Rolling Stones showed up a few days later, after the stage was assembled, and started rehearsing. At first we all got along fine and...       http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCQ2R7K?*Version*=1&*entries*=0