Saturday, August 29, 2015

AC/DC: ON THE SET OF PRIVATE PARTS


I am a big fan of AC/DC. The first time I heard them I was in high school. I went out and bought the album Highway To Hell. My favorite song was “Get It Hot.” I remember our school’s football team would always have the song “T.N.T.” playing over the loudspeakers as they took to the field. I bought the album High Voltage after hearing that. My favorite song on that one is “Live Wire,” because at times I am a live wire.

I was shocked when I heard the news that Bon Scott died. It was the biggest news in my world. Everyone in school was talking about it. All the D.J.’s were reliving AC/DC memories on the radio. AC/DC was just starting to get some great radio airplay on rock stations here in the United States when it happened. They had just completed a very successful U.S. tour in 1979. They were already huge in their home country of Australia.

The tragedy left everyone wondering ‘what would happen next for the band?’ Five months later, that question was answered when AC/DC released Back In Black. I went out and bought it. Favorite track: “Shoot to Thrill.” After a brief mourning period, AC/DC got right back to work. They found a new singer in Brian Johnson and recorded their next album immediately. AC/DC fans were salivating in anticipation, curious to hear what they would sound like now.

The album was an instant smash. It was perfectly timed. It released in the summer of 1980 and everyone was driving around, cranking it, with their windows down. It contained multiple hits. For the first time, not only were the rock stations playing AC/DC nonstop, but the popular music stations began playing AC/DC as well, especially the songs “You Shook Me All Night Long,” “Back in Black,” and “Hells Bells.” That album went on to become the second biggest-selling record ever, right after Thriller. AC/DC was back and even bigger and more popular than ever.

The first time I saw them perform live was on September 2, 1984, at a Monsters of Rock concert in Germany. It is one of the best I have ever experienced. Van Halen (the very last show with David Lee Roth, years before the reunion tour), Mötley Crüe, Ozzy Osbourne, and Dio were also on the bill. AC/DC absolutely rocked that sportzplatz.

Flash forward twelve years to the summer of 1996. Howard Stern was filming his movie, Private Parts, in various locations throughout New York. I was unemployed at the time, so I decided to start my own dog-walking business. How could I lose? There are countless dog lovers and owners. Some of them work crazy hours and just can’t be there to walk their dog during the day.

That’s where I would step in. I made up a few signs, and just had fun with it. I wrote “Dog Walker Available, 28 Years Dog-walking Experience.” I then proceeded to post them around town. I got a client almost instantly. That client referred me to another client, and before I knew it I was walking a few different dogs. One day I was walking two Dalmatians when I saw a newly printed sign taped to a lamppost. It read, “Paid extras wanted for Howard Stern’s movie ‘Private Parts’ tomorrow. Be at Bryant Park at 8 a.m.”

I was psyched. I really wanted to do this, so I checked my calendar immediately, and fortunately for me, I was not scheduled to pick up any dog shit off the streets of New York City that day. I was available. AC/DC turned out to be the surprise musical guest at the filming, but that was all top secret. The next day I got there bright and early. I went to the holding area and checked in.

There were thousands of extras. It was all catered; we had breakfast waiting for us. During check-in, we received our wristbands and completed some paperwork so that we could get paid. It took a while to process all of us, so everyone just relaxed and hung out, ate, read the paper, chatted, whatever. It was a great way to ease into the day. People were buzzing about the top news story of the day, the bombing at the Summer Olympics in Atlanta.

Lunch was served once check-in was completed. Then we all made our way over to Bryant Park. The scene was a political rally. There was a big stage with a banner that read, “Howard Stern for Governor.” We just filled in the park wherever we wanted. It was an absolutely picture-perfect summer day, not a cloud in the sky. I scoped out a place to smoke up. There were dozens of porta potties. I went in one before it had the chance to be used, even once. I smoked up and got myself ready for my close-up.

All the extras were in place. Robin Quivers and Baba Booey took the stage and spoke for a while. We all applauded them enthusiastically, then we started chanting, “Howard, Howard, Howard.” Howard Stern came out next and we all started cheering insanely. We were clapping for everything he was saying.

It was really fun. –A lot of people remembered when Howard Stern actually ran for governor, it was only ten years earlier.- We shot the scene a few times, and once finished, Howard Stern announced, “I want to thank you for all your support, and as a surprise I have the greatest rock-and-roll band in the world.”

A look of wonder spreads across thousands of faces. Everyone was looking around, thinking, ‘who?’ Stern continued, “Please welcome AC/DC!” Five guys began to walk on stage, and we’re all just staring at them. From a distance people were asking each other, ‘is that really them or just actors playing AC/DC?’

Then, as they walked toward the front, people’s comments changed to: “Yes, that’s them!” “That’s Angus Young.” “There’s Brian Johnson, right there!” It took a few seconds before the crowd realized that AC/DC was really there and about to play.

It was shock and excitement rolled into one. Passersby on the street could see that AC/DC was on-stage; they started trying to get into the park. By now though, it was a closed set. If you didn’t already have a wristband, you weren’t getting in. They played, “You Shook Me All Night Long.” They were superb. I see them walk off the stage, and I think to myself, right now we’re all just actors on a set. We’re practically colleagues.


I walk over to the backstage area and...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCQ2R7K?*Version*=1&*entries*=0